This Saturday, April 29 is the Sandy Hook, Monmouth County, New Jersey field trip with our New Jersey NABA Chapter. Participants will meet 9:30am at the Horseshoe Cove Parking Lot [DeLorme 39, M-19] (Note Change in Meeting Place). Take Exit 117 off the Garden State Parkway, then Route 36 for about 13 miles to Sandy Hook. The Horseshoe Cove Parking Lot is on the right about 3 miles N of the entrance to the Hook. Stay in the left hand lane as you pass the right hand turnoff for Atlantic Drive (signified by All Beach Parking sign). Then exit right is just north of this right hand turnoff. There are restroom facilities next to Parking Lots B, C, D and E on the right hand side after you pass the entrance to the Hook. Hoped for species include Henry’s Elfin, Juniper Hairstreak, and Gray Hairstreak. Leader: Jim Springer
Help support NABA and our conservation work by becoming a member today! More importantly, your membership support helps NABA conserve butterflies and their habitats throughout North America, both by direct action, and by educating the public about the importance of butterflies and their habitats: https://butterflies.naba.org/conserve/naba-membership/
Note: We are unable to send publications and notices by mail outside of the United States; international members will want to choose the Digital Only option.
Additionally, all members receive:
- A welcome packet that includes a welcome letter and order form for past American Butterflies issues, so you won’t miss any of their fantastic content.
- The satisfaction that you are contributing to butterfly habitats and education!
If you choose a family membership, all immediate members of your family will be members of the North American Butterfly Association and receive all benefits of membership including supporting butterfly conservation and being able to attend biannual members meetings. Families are entitled to receive a single print copy of NABA publications per issue.
- Sunday, May 9, 2021 – Roy Cohutta – Dougherty County, GA May 10, 2021Roy Cohutta Location: Darton College Dougherty County, GA Plenty of flowers to look through for small butterflies, but few found. 73-83F, SE-SW 10-23MPH, Mostly Sunny, Cloud Cover 8>25%, 11:00-1300. Species Gray Hairstreak (1) American Lady (1) White Checkered-Skipper (1) Images American Lady Gray HairstreakNorth American Butterfly Association (moderator: Mike Reese)
- Sunday, May 9, 2021 – Ken Wilson – San Diego County, CA May 10, 2021Ken Wilson Location: Escondido backyard San Diego County, CA Sightings for the past week.Yard activity has been slow. Species Giant Swallowtail (+) Cabbage White (+) Cloudless Sulphur (+) Gulf Fritillary (+) Mourning Cloak (+) Monarch (+) Umber Skipper (+)North American Butterfly Association (moderator: Mike Reese)
- Sunday, May 9, 2021 – Ken Wilson – San Diego County, CA May 10, 2021Ken Wilson Location: Tijauana River Valley, Imperial Beach San Diego County, CA Mostly cloudy, mid 60s. This activity is below expectations for this location at this time. The season is well behind in many locations. Species Western Tiger Swallowtail (+) Cabbage White (+) Mourning Cloak (+) Red Admiral (+)North American Butterfly Association (moderator: Mike Reese)